Sunday, March 29, 2015

Halloween 2014 Costume Re-Cap

Wow, things have been so busy!  It has been entirely too long since my last post.  I thought that I would show off the girl's Halloween costumes before the next one rolls around.  Also, I finally made Miss Kee's Elsa dress.

So to start, I mentioned in my goodbye to Summer post, that the girls wanted to be Micheal Jackson for Halloween.    I think that the end result turned out pretty well.

Feather helped me plan the actual costumes.  We decided to go with the Billie Jean look - black sequined blazer, white shirt, black pants and fedora.  The only things that I had to make for this were the blazers and hats.

For the blazers, I drafted patterns based off of jackets that they had, making adjustments with the muslin.  I used stretch sequin fabric, and I would recommend keeping rubbing alcohol handy to clean off your needle periodically, as the glue that keeps the sequins on tends to build up.
Aside from the glue build up, the blazer construction was pretty much a breeze.

Next up.... the fedora dadadum..  I had not sewn a fedora before, but I thought "how hard can it be?"  I took the measurements from a fedora that Feather already had that was denim, and set about drafting my pattern.  Everything looked lovely.  I even took a picture of all my tools laid out in the evening twilight.  That is were it ended.  There is no way I am showing the results! lol  Maybe at a later date I will be able to take the time to master the fedora.  Until then, Kee's dress up arsenal has gained a sparkly, misshapen, floppy hat.
Now in full panic mode, I covered the denim fedora with leftover fabric, and by pure luck found an old black one that we had for a long time.

Halloween was saved! lol  Never underestimate the power of fabric and glue!

The girls had a blast and were a hit trick or treating.  They had to moonwalk several times, and their mom learned how to sew sleeves.

-- Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment